Compared to manual FUE and automated FUE, ARTAS robotic FUE is only slightly more expensive (2€ to 5€ / graft depending on the country), but it allows faster graft sampling with a constant high quality (graft survival rate of 90% or even 95%), and ARTAS says it avoids inconsistents results that may occur with handheld punches.
It allows the grafting of both men's and women's hair.
It must be carried out by a medical team well trained in the use of the ARTAS robot.
Optimal quantity in one session : 2000 grafts ; maximum : 2500 - 3000, providing that the donor area (restricted for the robot to the back of the head) is sufficient. Two to three sessions are needed to transplant 5000 grafts.
- Androgenetic alopecia
- Men : a complete pre-shave is advisable (wear a short haircut before the procedure), but it is also possible to limit shaving to the donor area.
- Women : only the donor area at the back of the head is shaved for surgery, then camouflaged by the surrounding long hair, and if necessary the clinic uses hair extensions. But as a matter of fact, some women are reluctant to have their hair shaved, even partially.
- Thin hair : require a higher number of grafts than medium or thick hair.
- White hair, thin blond hair : in some cases not suitable
STEPS IN THE PROCEDURE : N.B. lunch break between harvesting and implantation
1. Graft removal :
- Shaving of the donor area (or of the whole head), local anesthesia.
- The ARTAS system scans and digitizes the donor area of the scalp (back of the head) to identify each follicular unit (location, angle, direction, follicle hair number, root depth)
- With the help of the system, the surgeon selects the grafts to be taken :
- Depending on the number and type of follicles (one, two, three or four hair) required to cover the area to be treated (hairline, frontal part, vertex ..).
- With a sufficient extraction space between the follicles, in order to maintain a natural appearance of the donor area after collection.
- The arm of the robot, equipped with a double punch of 0.9 mm or 1.0 mm (inner diameter), itself isolates the grafts to be taken, with an accuracy of the order of a micron (thousandth of a millimeter), which guarantees grafts of high quality (survival rate of 90 to 95%) and optimal regrowth. N.B. The robot adapts to the micro movements of the patient's head, and if necessary it pauses to reposition itself automatically.
- Then the surgeon and team of assistants proceed to the collection of the grafts previously "detoured" by the robot, and to their classification (number of hair) under a microscope.
- Duration of the sampling : from 50 min to 1h20 for 1000 grafts (against 2h30 in manual FUE), double for 2000 grafts.
- Number of grafts taken in one session : maximum 2500 - 3500 ; due to a limited sampling area at the back of the head (occipito-parietal region and occipital region), the optimal number of grafts is often of the order of 2000+.
2. Implantation of grafts :
- Digital mapping and local anesthetic of the area to be restored (baldness, sparse hair).
- Implantation of the grafts by the surgeon and his team, helped by image guiding provided by the robot (map coordinates for each graft, with recommended angle and orientation):
- with an implanter pen (Choï) that ensures perfect control without prior incisions (direct implantation method), the most practiced by clinics
- or with micro-clamps (in the micro incisions previously performed by the surgeon with a micro scalpel).
- SITE MAKING : THE 9X VERSION OF THE ARTAS ROBOT CAN AUTOMATICALLY PERFORM THE INCISIONS, ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN DECIDED BY THE SURGEON (see the video below)
3. Total duration of the procedure : 3 to 4 hours for 1000 grafts, 5 to 6 hours for 2000 grafts.
4. Post-operative follow-up : Check-ups are necessary at 3, 6 and 9 months after the transplant, to ensure its good progress.
- Medical teams (surgeon plus 4 people at least) are trained specifically in the use of the robot
- Very high graft survival rate (over 90%), because of perfect sampling quality, and low trans section rate (1,5% - 5%).
- Very short sampling time compared to FUE automated or manual.
- Very natural result of transplanted hair and donor area after regrowth.
- Benefits of FUE: no linear scar, minimally invasive surgery, rapid recovery of the donor area, possibility to wear short hair ..
- micro scars much wider than with manual or automated punch (outer diameter of double punch ARTAS equivalent to 1.6mm).
- Sampling area more limited than in conventional FUE (manual, automated) because certain zones (sides of the head) cannot be harvested by the robot.
- Difficult with white hair and thin blond hair, and also with frizzy / curly / afro hair (punch diameter limited to 1mm).
- FUE robotized is a little more expensive than manual or automated FUE, due to the cost of the equipment
Have a look at our selection of clinics offering this procedure in Europe